When you are creating a DFS replica of a shared folder to a new location:
– Create a shared folder on the destination server
– Right-click on the share in the DFS management tool and choose Add Replica…
– Select the shared folder you just created
– Configure the replication to happen automatically.
– After you have created the replica, right click on the new replica and TAKE IT OFFLINE until the replication has completed. This is the most important step. If you leave it online, users can and will get directed to the new location, which will appear to be missing files/folders.
– Once you are satisfied that the replication is complete (i.e. the size of the folder on both servers and the number of files and folders match), then you can bring the new replica online.